Blue Skies


Blue Skies

2018 has been a challenging, frightening, exciting year for me. I had a minor urine infection; had a colonoscopy and an MRI ‘Small Bowel Study’; have recently started the biological treatment, Adalimumab ‘HUMIRA’ in order to treat a stricture of my small bowel due to my Crohn’s disease; have been overwhelmed with anxiety; felt extremely low on difficult days; and have seen the further decline of my dad’s health due to his primary-progressive multiple sclerosis.

However, there were many positives and achievements. Some of the highlights include:
        Passing my driving practical test first time in an automatic car with four driving faults. This led on to getting my own car and driving on the motorway.
        Completing a tandem skydive in aid of Crohn’s and Colitis UK and Dyspraxia Foundation. Thanks to your donations, we raised over £2,000.
        Joining a gym to improve my physical and mental health.
        Being a finalist for ‘The President’s Award’ at the St Albans District Chamber of Commerce’s Community Business Awards 2018.
        Doing a bit of travelling.
        Working on writing projects.
        Appearing on Trident Media Radio in association with University of Hertfordshire, Radio Verulam and BBC Three Counties Radio and in The Herts Advertiser.
        Raising awareness of hidden disabilities and mental health conditions.
        Spending time with loved ones, friends and yourself.

I also learnt that is important to be kind to yourself; it is okay not to be okay; and to always believe in yourself. You are amazing.

Resolutions for 2019
It is currently Tuesday 1st January 2019 as I write this article and the year ahead is uncertain. Like always there will be difficult times but there will also be a fun, emotional and lifechanging moments. Like every year I set some possible goals to aim for.

Here are some of mine for 2019:
        Spend time with the people I care about. You are the reason why I am still here.
        Become a published author of children’s and young adult fiction novels.
        Travel the world as there is so many beautiful places to see.
        Raise lots more awareness of hidden disabilities and mental health conditions.
        Ultimately, to be happy.

-----

I want to say thank you once again. You are the reason I keep writing; keep speaking; keep living. It means so much that I have you. You make the cloudiest of the skies the brightest shade of blue.

Jake Borrett completing his tandem skydive in aid of Crohn's and Colitis UK and Dyspraxia Foundation in June 2018...Copyright © 2019- Jake Borrett. All rights reserved.                  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jake. Lovely blog. I am a Crohnie too, but much older than you! I also love travelling, and am an aspiring writer. Saw your blog on the Crohn's and Colitis facebook page.
    All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kindness, Helen. It is always great to hear from a fellow Crohnie. All the best to you with your travelling and writing. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. 2019 has been a busy year.

      Delete