Why I am wing walking for Crohn’s and Colitis UK and Dyspraxia Foundation

Why I am wing walking for Crohn’s and Colitis UK and Dyspraxia Foundation

It started with my dad.

He was adventurous. He loved running, cycling and would travel across the globe. He never gave up and would make the most out of life despite his health condition. This mainly came in the form of his progressive multiple sclerosis. Over the years this forced him to use a walking stick, and then later a mobility scooter. Despite this, his daring side never stopped and he completed a tandem skydive for the Multiple Sclerosis Society in June 2009. It was remarkable how he flew up to 13,000 feet in order to take one giant leap into the sky.

It was only a couple of years later in May 2011, his health deteriorated even further to the extent he was transferred into a nursing home. He lost his ability to walk; was double incontinent; and it impacted his mental health too including through numerous anxiety, depressive and paranoid episodes. Nevertheless, he was my dad and we liked playing games together. His cheeky side never faded and we would have a good time despite his hardship.

I was so inspired by him, I completed my own tandem skydive for Crohn’s and Colitis UK and Dyspraxia Foundation nine years later, on the same date in June, at the same place at Hinton Skydiving Centre in Brackley on Thursday 28th June 2018. I was so happy he was able to come along on the day to watch me.

Then in April 2020, he died. He passed away in his nursing home due to complications with his multiple sclerosis. This left a huge hole in my heart. Grief is exhausting. It is upsetting. It causes anger. It was made worse because as a family we were not able to see other loved ones or go many places due to the coronavirus pandemic. These were some of my darkest days. I got through them thanks to the support from family, friends and two amazing charities, Crohn’s and Colitis UK and Dyspraxia Foundation, who were there for me again in times of great difficulty.

I have always wanted to take to the skies again, and this wing walk is my way of saying thank you to them. A wing walk involves standing on a wing of a bi-plane as it flies and summersaults through the air. I like to believe on Sunday 4th September 2022 as I fly into the blue Dorset sky, Dad will be watching me.

If you would like to donate to my fundraising pages, you can do so through the following links:

For Jake Borrett’s Team Page, please follow this link:
https://www.justgiving.com/team/jakeborrettwingwalk

To donate to Crohn’s and Colitis UK, please follow this link:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Jake-Borrett3

To donate to Dyspraxia Foundation, please follow this link:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Jake-Borrett4

Thank you for your kindness and for being there for me. It means a huge amount to me and the charities.

It started with my dad...Copyright © 2019 Jake Borrett. All rights reserved.   


2 comments:

  1. A very heartfelt blog Jake. You have a real talent for words and a kind soul. Very touched to read about the wonderful relationship you had with your Dad and can see how it has shaped you into the caring individual I know you to be. The Dyspraxia Foundation appreciate your kind support and wish you every luck in this amazing challenge for the two charities you care about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Eleanor. They really mean a lot to me. Thank you also for the amazing work you do too. I look forward to raising lots of awareness and funds for both charities. Speak very soon.

      Delete